top of page
  • Writer's pictureadrianne

No Walk In The Park

It's Thursday, three days post surgery, and not gonna lie...this has been tough. Did I expect a walk in the park? Little bit, yes I did, considering what I've been through this year. That'll teach me to talk big.

I didn't sleep Monday night. Not because I was hurting; I was just awake. I had taken one of the prescribed pain pills for the tender rib, forgetting that oxycodone keeps me up. Despite the lack of sleep, I felt pretty good. The rib was an aggravation, especially getting up and down, but no pain in my face. Bruising looked better to me, and swelling was minimal. Sweet, I thought. I'm gonna sail through this.

I felt well enough that Jamie took me to deliver a plate of goodies to my vet's office. Love the ladies at my vet's office!

Then we checked on and visited with my uncle.

I got a little tired after that, and when, later in the evening, we had to make a Home Depot run, I sat in the car.

We slept in the bed that night. Figuring out how to get in was tough--my painful rib wouldn't let me move easily. Raising the head of the bed all the way up allowed me to sit and then lower myself to a sleeping position. I needed to get up in the middle of the night though, and I just couldn't do it. I tried and tried to ease myself out, but I couldn't move my core in any direction. I didn't want to raise the head of the bed all the way up with Jamie sleeping beside me, so I woke him up to help me.

Yesterday, I was more tired, and my face was more painful. The bruising under my eyes looked better, but swelling was moving down my face.

Jamie had to go to work, though he didn't want to leave me. When you work for yourself though, there are no paid sick or vacation days to take. I worked with him for a couple hours--my part is done from home, sitting at the table writing down the measurements and notes he's getting out in the field. It was just a couple hours, but I was stick-a-fork-in-me done at the end. I reclined on the couch and slept til it was time to feed the pups.

Jamie was out of town for the night, so I slept on the couch with the pups. I slept well, up a couple times to go to the bathroom. I got up at 6:00 this morning and did my saline soak--every 3 hours I have to roll up a piece of gauze, saturate it in a saline solution, and carefully stuff it up my nostrils for a 30 minute soak. I hated it the first few times, but it's actually very soothing and keeps crustiness from forming. Afterwards, I slept again til about 8:30. My good boy pups slept with me and didn't complain that I was late with their breakfast.

Today the rib feels much better. The bandage can come off, and I'll get my first look at it. Swelling has settled in my lower face, and I am a chipmunk.

My uncle has an important doctor's appointment at 2:00, and I'm going with him. In the meantime, I'm gonna try to get a bath. I haven't had one since Monday, and I think it will make me feel better.

Jack and Roscoe will continue to take care of me til Jamie gets home around 3:00.

31 views4 comments

Recent Posts

See All

4 comentários

21 de dez. de 2023

Recovery is difficult particularly when we want to do more than our bodies can handle. One thing I have learned is that the next day will be better than today. One day at a time. ❤️‍🩹


21 de dez. de 2023

I fell and shattered all bones in my nose so I know what you are going through! I hope you feel better soon♥️. My bruises traveled up my face and eyes and I had purple eye liner for weeks.

21 de dez. de 2023
Respondendo a

Did I mention I had a plaster cast taped to my face too! My eyes were so swollen I couldn’t wear my contacts and I had to tape my glasses to my forehead so I could see 😂. I was a mess!

bottom of page