top of page
  • Writer's pictureadrianne

An Update...

I know it’s been a while since I updated about my progress following my mastectomy, so I thought I would take a few minutes to do that. When last I updated, I was waiting to have my final two drains removed, which was scheduled to happen on Wednesday, February 22th. I can’t tell you how excited I was for that day. It was to be the start of Life Back To Normal. Only that’s not what happened.

I got sick the day before, and the drain on the right side of my body began filling almost faster than we could empty it. In less than 12 hours, it put out over 200cc of fluid. It’s supposed to be around 20cc in a 24 hour period at removal time, and it had been close to that before that day. Because the drains had been in for four weeks at that point and were an infection risk, they had to be removed the next day. It wasn’t the happy day I had looked forward to for weeks though, because now I worried about fluid building up with no place to go.

Sure enough, I had to go back to the doctor two days later because the right side of my back was full of fluid, and it was very painful. Nearly 200cc was aspirated from a large seroma on my back. I had four lymph nodes removed from that side during my mastectomy, so my lymph system couldn’t handle the excess fluid. I was put in a compression wrap and told I must wear it 24/7 except to shower.

I was back at the doctor four days later to have another 210cc aspirated. We added a compression top underneath the compression wrap. (The goal of the compression is to press the skin layer down tight against the layer beneath it so fluid can’t get between the two. As long as there is fluid between the two layers, it can’t heal.)

And that’s where I’m at…I wear this compression 24/7 except to shower. I’ve been to the doctor weekly to have fluid aspirated. For anybody keeping track, my mastectomy was 9 weeks ago. Didn’t I think I’d be further along in my healing by now?

There is improvement, I know that. But the last couple of weeks have been a little tough mentally. I’m allowed only slow short walks. I can’t work, I can’t take a yoga class, I can’t bike, I can’t vacuum, I can’t lift, I can’t break a sweat. (Dr. Ghazi says if I’m sweating on the outside, I’m sweating on the inside.) Scenic route. I’m on the scenic route to recovery. I'm not complaining, just updating. I have nothing about which to complain. I'm not having to do chemo or radiation, and I'm not fighting for my life. Just inconvenienced and aggravated.

24/7 in this...

Good times. No, it doesn’t hurt…I have no feeling in that area.

So.....raise your hand if, when you saw the title "An Update," you hoped it was gonna be a squirrel update. Hey, my hand is raised. Here is that update.

I'd like to formally introduce you to The Guardians of the Galaxy--Drax, Rocket, Yondu, and Baby Groot. I told you I had four boys, but I was wrong. I have two boys and two girls. I had everyone named already when I discovered my mistake, I liked the names, and decided Yondu & Baby Groot didn't mind their names at all.

That photo was taken pretty soon after they got here--they've grown quite a bit since. Yondu's eyes open Tuesday, and Drax & Rocket followed Wednesday. I warmed and hydrated The Littles before starting them on formula (squirrel formula...can you believe it?) Yondu, who was the tiniest at 57 grams, would NOT take formula. For four days, she wouldn't take formula. I tried everything but standing on my head, but the most I could get in her was sugar water. It came down to me forcing 75/25 water/formula drop by drop onto her tongue. It would take an hour to get half a cc in her. I thought she was going to die; she looked so weak. I was in constant contact with a rehabber located in North Georgia, and we decided Thursday morning if she didn't make a turn by that afternoon, I would drive her to him. Well, whaddya know....the very next feeding, Yondu latched onto a syringe of full strength formula and sucked down 1.5cc. Next feeding-2cc, next feeding 2.5cc, and the little girl hasn't looked back. She's still the tiniest, but today she weighs a whopping 76 grams.

At the other end of the scale is Baby Groot, or Big Girl as I like to call her. She's probably two weeks older than the others. She arrived weighing 82 grams. As of yesterday, she weighs 147 grams. No, she's not fat--squirrels just grow very very fast! You can see a difference in them between naps.

Baby Groot the day she got here...

Baby Groot yesterday...

This was a couple days ago....Baby Groot with Drax & Rocket....

And speaking of the brothers, Drax is the biggest at 96 grams today...(photo is not from today)

And Rocket aka Rocket Man is the sweetest. He's at 91 grams today, but this photo is definitely not from today.

And now, some photos of The Guardians, in no particular order....

Raising them won't be like raising Kevin; it can't be. They have each other, and they don't seek me out for attention or affection or snuggles. They won't get a room to free roam. Just feeding them is quite the adventure. I think I finally have a handle on feedings and schedule, but I can't imagine what it's gonna be like when they're all the size of Baby Groot.

I told you they drink squirrel formula--5-7% of their body weight every feeding, 4-5 feedings a day. This is a link to squirrel formula: They also are just getting introduced to these Healthy Blocks: Who knew there exists a whole site dedicated to feeding squirrels?

I hope you've enjoyed the update. I know I did, especially the part about the squirrels.

39 views1 comment

Recent Posts

See All


1 Comment

Mar 15, 2023

“The scenic route” is a greyt way to look at it. And the Babies are soooo adorable. They came to give you a purpose right now.

bottom of page